Friday, January 16, 2009

2001

much to my chagrin a few weeks ago after we got done singing "In Christ Alone" at providence
i opened my big mouth to say how much i enjoyed singing the song
and commenting on how they just don't write songs like they used to
the next morning brian forwarded me an e-mail from a kind man
who wanted to inform me that "In Christ Alone" was written in 2001
no surprise here, i'm not a very well read individual
but i felt humiliated and encouraged
and intrigued that a song of that doctrinal and theological soundness
rich in meaning and depth - was written so recently

this morning i found another modern day hymnist
(not to be confused with the greek food pronunciation of gymnast)

or not? from what i can find john stocker wrote the lyrics in the 1700's
and sandra mcCracken wrote [new] music to it in this century
what a beautiful song

"Thy Mercy"

Thy mercy my God is the theme of my song
The joy of my heart, and the boast of my tongue
Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last
Hath won my affection and bound my soul fast

Without Thy sweet mercy, I could not live here
Sin would reduce me to utter despair
But through Thy free goodness, my spirit's revived
And He that first made me still keeps me alive

Thy mercy is more than a match for my heart
Which wonders to feel its own hardness depart
Dissolved by Thy goodness, I fall to the ground
And weep for the praise of the mercy I've found

Hallelujah

Great Father of mercies, Thy goodness I own
In the covenant love of Thy crucified Son
All praise to the Spirit, Whose whisper divine
Seals mercy and pardon and righteousness mine

Hallelujah


listen to it here: http://www.last.fm/music/Sandra+McCracken/_/Thy+Mercy%2C+My+God

No comments: